So, you think you know how to study? It’s important to develop study skills and habits that work well for you, but studies have shown that there are good practices to put into place when studying to help you maximize your time.
If you’re still trying to get a working system down, consider the following tips:
- Switch between subjects. It might seem counterintuitive to switch from one subject to another while you study, but studies show that studying one subject for 15 or 20 minutes, then moving to another (and so on) during your study session can actually help. Switching subjects can help you retain information better than if you try to power through one subject for hours on end.
- Space your sessions out. If you’re going to study something more than once, space out the study sessions as far as possible. Instead of studying a subject multiple times in a day, try spreading out study sessions over the week. It will help your recall and allow you to let what you’ve learned sink in before adding more information.
- Study in the right place. There’s not necessarily one right place for everyone. While the right place may be the library for some, it may be the worst place for others. Find a clean, comfortable, space where you can focus on your homework whether that be the library, a coffee shop, or your own bedroom.
- Rewrite your notes. Rewriting your notes will not only help you organize yourself a little bit better, but it will help you study without actually “studying”. Rewriting your notes allows you to go over the information you need to recall and get a refresher on the subject.
- Don’t cram. Students seem to always be cramming, but it can actually do more harm than good when it comes to preparing for a test. Trying to shove too much information into your brain at one time will make it difficult to retain any of the information crammed in.
- Get help if you need it. Never hesitate or feel ashamed to ask for help. Sometimes a different perspective can turn around your entire view of a difficult subject. Our tutors are conveniently located in the Salt Lake City, Sandy, and Provo, UT areas. With specialties in math including algebra as well as science subjects, and ACT prep, we are the best choice for tutoring services.